The War on Consciousness - Graham Hancock

Spaarpotje

Helaas maar waar, en het ergste is nog dat het grootste gedeelte van de mensen hier totaal geen weet van hebben.

Ralou

Bewuste gebruiker
Tripreporter
Topcombinatie - Graham en Afterskool (zeer laagdrempelig om te kunnen delen met anderen)

Eik

DF Staff
Forumleiding
Tripreporter
Interessant filmpje inderdaad van Graham Hancock. Ben het ook wel eens met veel van wat hij zegt. Was dit filmpje een tijdje terug niet "geband" van TED omdat het te controversieel was?

Mindless

DF-koning
Zweefkees
Emeritus Mod
Top Tripreporter
Interessant filmpje inderdaad van Graham Hancock. Ben het ook wel eens met veel van wat hij zegt. Was dit filmpje een tijdje terug niet "geband" van TED omdat het te controversieel was?
De TED talk zelf geloof ik. En ook die van Rupert Sheldrake als ik het goed heb.

Mindless

DF-koning
Zweefkees
Emeritus Mod
Top Tripreporter
Interessant interview naar aanleiding van de genoemde TED ban:

Ironisch ook eigenlijk, dat die TED ban precies de 'war on concsciousness' TED talk van Graham Hancock symboliseert en bevestigd. Waarschijnlijk zorgde de ban er ook juist voor dat de TED talk meer onder de aandacht kwam en zo meer bewustzijn bracht. Je houdt bewustwording niet tegen, wat je ook probeert. :grinning:

henkie2

Bewuste gebruiker
Graham Hancock is een held!

Deze blijft één van m'n favorieten:

Hier is een transcript:

Looking at the broad expanse of history, what I see in the Western civilization which I´m part of is a gradual trend over hundreds, thousands of years, towards increased individual freedom, towards removing the power of the state to intervene in our lives. This seems to have been the direction of Western civilization except in one area where we have gone back rather than forwards in the last 40 years and that is the area of personal individual use of drugs.

It seems to me that if we are not sovereign over our own consciousness, than we can’t meaningfully claim to be sovereign over anything. It´s useless, a complete waste of time to indulge ourselves in all sorts of self-congratulation about how free we are, about how our democracies are a model of freedom, when we’re prepared to send people to prison for exploring that most intimate, that most precious, that most sapient part of themselves. Which is their own consciousness. I feel that the war on drugs, the persecution of individuals for exploring their own consciousness with drugs has set in motion a huge reverse in the true direction of Western history. Pushed us away from the quest for individual freedom, and pushed us into a place where we are empowering the state to control the most personal aspect of our lives.

And I don’t think that can be good. I feel that it’s a negative historical trend. And I feel that we need to wake up and do something about this, because the struggle for freedom, for individual freedom is perhaps the most important thing that Western culture has given to the world, we can’t just let that go now because of some sort of ideological hatred for drugs.

First of all let me be clear, that when I talk about the right to use drugs, I am referring to adults, I am not referring to children. For example, I am quite persuaded by the research which indicated that marijuana use, particularly heavy marijuana use amongst teenagers can have extremely detrimental effects on those teenagers. I think the evidence for that is quite compelling. I would not encourage teenagers to smoke marijuana.

Unfortunately, in the society we live in at the moment, where nobody believes any of the information that is given about drugs, certainly among teenagers, they do not believe the information, it seems to be tainted, it seems to be coming from a source that they do not trust and do not believe in. I am not surprised that despite the dangers to their health, huge numbers of teenagers are continuing to smoke marijuana. I would like to see an honest and open debate on the subject with full information being available to all members of the public.

One of the reasons why I’m convinced that full honest information is the way to go, is what’s happened with tobacco in our societies over the last 20 years. In precisely the period that we’ve seen a dramatic escalation in the use of almost all illegal drugs, we’ve seen a dramatic decline in the use of the highly addictive legal drug, called tobacco. And that decline in tobacco use has not come because people have been sent to prison for using tobacco. It’s not come because their homes have been broken into by agents of the state for using tobacco. It’s not come because there are draconian laws that prevent the use of tobacco.

The decline in tobacco use has come solely because of one reason, people have believed the good information that has been put out there, that has shown them that tobacco use can be very bad for their health, and they’ve made choices not to use tobacco. I believe the same kind of level of information should be made available on drugs. As long as those who take drugs are set in opposition against the state, feel themselves in danger of attack and harassment by the state, see the state effectively as their enemy, they are not going to believe what the state has to tell them.

If it is true that certain drugs are genuinely very harmful to our health as we know is the case with tobacco, then it seems obvious to me that we need to remove this whole subject from the issue of criminal sanctions, and we have to throw it out open to the public common sense. We have to give people information that they trust, and they will act on that information. I believe for adults if they choose not to act on that information, that’s also their business, but the most important thing is that the information should be there, it should be trusted and open. We’ve definitely seen the evidence that were one harmful drug is concerned where good information is provided, tobacco, it does result in reduction of use.

I believe that we’re moving in a strange direction in our society today. Which is in a rather sinister manner is minimizing adult responsibility. More and more we find that the state is stepping in, and presenting itself as taking responsibility for decisions that we as adults should really be making for ourselves. And one of those decisions, is the decision as an adult, as a responsible adult whether to use drugs or not. Now I would guess, I don’t have the surveys or the studies to prove this, but I would guess that even in a regime where all drugs were completely legal, I would suspect that the vast majority of adults probably would not partake in them. I think that would be their choice, and I respect that choice. I think we’re talking about a minority interest here. However, the statistics that are available do show that it’s a substantial minority interest, certainly of the order of millions of people in Britain, and tens of millions of people in the United States, who are as adults interested in exploring their own consciousness with drugs.

The way that the drug issue has been cast in our society up until now, it’s been cast particularly by the media and politicians as a totally frivolous, worthless, lightweight recreational pursuit. I personally don’t view the subject that way.

If we use words like freedom, we have to use them in their full meaning. And where adults are concerned, if we want to imagine that we are free, we have to imagine a society in which we are free to use drugs. Even if those drugs may be harmful to us. That has to be our choice. After all, our society already accepts the principle that individuals may do things that are harmful to themselves. It’s a clear fact that we tolerate and keep completely legal the use of alcohol and tobacco, both of which are known major health risks, far more so than most illegal drugs.

But it’s not only that, we put young men into the army, and they join the army and take a job that may put their lives at risk. People go skiing, bungee jumping, people jump out of airplanes for the excitement of so doing. Let’s not pretend that that’s completely free of danger, there is risk in that adventure that the person has. And I would say, I’ve never done it myself, but when somebody jumps out of an airplane I would imagine it has an extraordinary effect on their consciousness, it must be a tremendous feeling, why else would so many people do it? They must get something special out of it. And they’ve decided as adults that getting that special thing is worth the risk of jumping out of that plane. I’m not going to them say, “look, I know that this is a special experience for you, but it’s a bit dangerous so I’m sorry you’re not allowed to do it and actually, if I catch you doing it I’m going to send you to prison!”.

Now I know that some drugs are much more dangerous and risky than others. I know that tobacco and alcohol are extremely dangerous and risky drugs. Personally I do not use and have never used heroin or cocaine. I have no idea what the cocaine experience is like. Other people have told be about it, and what they’ve told me, makes me feel this isn’t for me, this is not my drug but I don’t mean to put down people who use cocaine, that’s their business, but for me it sounds like a short noisy busy meaningless exchange. I don’t see any depth in it. That’s also part of my freedom, as an adult, is the freedom not to consume certain drugs (helaas was dat niet het geval tijdens COVID!!!). And what I’ve heard from people I trust about cocaine tells me that that is not for me.

You know, I haven’t broken my finger either, but when somebody who has broken their finger tells me it hurts, I believe them, I don’t need to break my finger in order to learn that experience, and that’s why I’m not at all attracted to cocaine. I’m not attracted to heroin either, or any powerfully addictive drug because I feel that if I become absolutely habituated and addicted with a substance, then again I’m actually losing control over my personal sovereignty!

Laatst bewerkt:

henkie2

Bewuste gebruiker
Correct.

Dat neemt echter niks weg van het punt.

Degenen die twee jaar geleden de door de staat opgelegde drugs weigerden werden zwaar beperkt in hun vrijheid, nietwaar? :smirk:

Is een discussie voor een ander topic, maar de raakvlakken zijn mijns inziens stuitend, als we het hebben over het in twijfel trekken van de informatie van de staat, of dat nou gaat over cannabis of welke medicijnen/injecties het beste voor mij zijn.

Graham Hancock heeft me in ieder geval een hoop geleerd over geschiedenis wat ik nooit op school heb geleerd, en de aannames die we doen.

ljuv

DF-koningin
Graham Hancock heeft me in ieder geval een hoop geleerd over geschiedenis wat ik nooit op school heb geleerd, en de aannames die we doen.
Zoals, welke lessen doel je dan op?
Ik luister en lees zijn werken ook graag, maar vind het wel wat spannend dit voor waarheid aan de nemen. Hij heeft veel uitgedacht zonder goede wetenschappelijke onderlegging, wat tegen wel wetenschappelijk onderbouwde aannames ingaat. Denk niet dat er niets van te leren valt, hoor. Maar wel dat daar kritisch naar gekeken moet worden en niet zomaar aangenomen moet worden.

henkie2

Bewuste gebruiker
Op school heb ik geleerd dat je hersenen van cannabis en LSD als een gebakken eitje zullen smelten ("this is your brain, on drugs!").

Op school heb ik geleerd dat de Grote Pyramide van Egypte is gebouwd voor een of andere farao en dat het toeval is dat het perfect is uitgelijnd met het geografische noorden.

Nee dank je, ik neem dan liever aan dat Graham Hancock dichter bij mijn versie van de waarheid zit, dan die smaldenkende flapdrollen die bepalen wat we wel en niet mogen leren op school.

Er liep ooit een andersdenkende malloot rond. Hij heette Galileo. Hij was zo ruimdenkend dat hij geloofde dat de Aarde om de Zon draaide, en niet andersom zoals in die tijd geloofd werd. De experts/wetenschappers/machtshebbers van toen beweerden dat hij het mis had en zijn versie van de waarheid moest onderdrukt worden. Hij werd verketterd en moest de rest van zijn leven in gevangenschap doorbrengen. Toch had hij gelijk!

Ideeën die het wereldbeeld doen verbrijzelen doorgaan drie stadia: belachelijk maken, ontkennen, en uiteindelijk pas acceptatie. Een dictatuur ontstaat wanneer we beginnen met het verbieden van ideeën, partijen etc. Sommige toespraken van Graham Hancock zijn gebanned zonder fatsoenlijke reden.

Graham Hancock wordt (deels terecht) vaak belachelijk gemaakt, maar dat hoort bij het proces van het accepteren van nieuwe informatie die ons wereldbeeld doet verruimen, of we dat nou leuk vinden of niet.

Mindless

DF-koning
Zweefkees
Emeritus Mod
Top Tripreporter
Ik weet dat dit dezelfde audio bevat als de tweede video in dit topic, die ik hier 5 jaar geleden postte, maar ik luisterde hem zonet opnieuw en wauw wat een speech is het. Een speech die met de dag relevanter wordt:

Ik vraag me af. Zijn er op deze aarde eerder dergelijke extinction events geweest op basis van de verdorvenheid van de mens. Natuurlijk wordt gesproken over de zondvloed.

Hoe het dan ook zit. We hebben allemaal daadwerkelijk invloed op goede dingen doen hier op aarde. We kunnen de wereld lelijker, maar ook mooier maken dan hij is. Wij zijn het die hier voor onszelf en voor anderen hel op aarde creëren, of hemel.

Snuifcabine

Bewuste gebruiker
Ik weet dat dit dezelfde audio bevat als de tweede video in dit topic, die ik hier 5 jaar geleden postte, maar ik luisterde hem zonet opnieuw en wauw wat een speech is het. Een speech die met de dag relevanter wordt:

Ik vraag me af. Zijn er op deze aarde eerder dergelijke extinction events geweest op basis van de verdorvenheid van de mens. Natuurlijk wordt gesproken over de zondvloed.

Hoe het dan ook zit. We hebben allemaal daadwerkelijk invloed op goede dingen doen hier op aarde. We kunnen de wereld lelijker, maar ook mooier maken dan hij is. Wij zijn het die hier voor onszelf en voor anderen hel op aarde creëren, of hemel.
Mooi verwoord @Mindless, ik geloof er zelf altijd in dat de natuur zichzelf zal herstellen, met of zonder ons. We leven al in de hemel, maar mensen maken een puinhoop van deze hemel. De gemeenschap zal bepalen welke kant wij op gaan. Zorgen wij er voor dat de cyclus van het leven wordt 'gereset' zonder ons, of maken wij er een hemel van en laten we deze cyclus nog langer duren? En is het erg als wij een extinction event creeren, voor wie is dit dan precies erg?

henkie2

Bewuste gebruiker
Machtig filmpje, Mindless.

Ik kan de hele dag naar Graham Hancock luisteren!

Dit is denk ik z'n meest recente uitgebreide interview (oktober 2023), voor de geïnteresseerden :stoned:

Mindless

DF-koning
Zweefkees
Emeritus Mod
Top Tripreporter
Mooi verwoord @Mindless, ik geloof er zelf altijd in dat de natuur zichzelf zal herstellen, met of zonder ons. We leven al in de hemel, maar mensen maken een puinhoop van deze hemel. De gemeenschap zal bepalen welke kant wij op gaan. Zorgen wij er voor dat de cyclus van het leven wordt 'gereset' zonder ons, of maken wij er een hemel van en laten we deze cyclus nog langer duren?
Dit is letterlijk de hemel ja. Maar onze eigen schaduw kan het doen laten lijken dat dit de hel is. Uitlijnen met je hogere zelf is meer hemel op aarde brengen.

En is het erg als wij een extinction event creeren, voor wie is dit dan precies erg?
Ja inderdaad dat kun je je afvragen.

Ik denk dan weer even aan:

quote-god-sleeps-in-the-rock-dreams-in-the-plant-stirs-in-the-animal-and-awakens-in-man-ibn-ar...jpg

Op zich niets mis mee als er alleen dieren, planten en mineralen zijn. Of zelfs alleen maar mineralen. Maar in de mens kan de kosmos echt ontwaken. Ik geloof zelf dat de kosmos beweegt naar meer en meer bewust worden en dat ook doet middels ons.

Als wij het nu verkloten door onszelf uit te roeien, houdt de kosmos niet op met bestaan maar zal de mensheid wellicht via een hele lange weg weer op dit punt moeten komen (wie weet?).

Er zijn maar 2 keuzes: angst of liefde. Overwegend angst en het wordt Hel op aarde. Atoombommen zijn in dat scenario dan nog een genade want dan is het (voor velen althans) snel voorbij. Of gewoon kiezen voor liefde en ons deel doen voor het creëren van Hemel op aarde.

Bovenaan